Passport and Visa Information

Passport and visa information for your visit to Sweden.

Planning a holiday in Sweden? Find out more about passport and visa

information for your visit to Sweden.

US residents:

A valid passport entitles United States citizens to a three-month stay in Sweden.

UK residents:

Holders of certain British Passports/Travel Documents do not need a visa to

travel to Sweden.

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you don’t

need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.

For information about what happens if the UK leaves the European Union with no

deal and any other travel advice or updates please check the FCO website for


EU citizens:

Being an EU citizen means that you have the right to work, study or live in Sweden without having a residence permit. You don’t need a valid

passport or ID card when entering Sweden from another Schengen EU country, but we still recommend that you bring your passport in case you will

need to prove your identity.

Tourist visas to Sweden for other countries:

If you are visiting Sweden as a tourist and are a citizen of a non-EU country, you may need a visa. A visa is a permit to travel to and stay in a country for a

limited period.

More information and requirements for visa applications can be found here

Swedish embassies and consulates-general

Countries whose citizens require a visa

Countries where Sweden is represented by another Schengen state

Citizens of other countries can also check with a Swedish diplomatic representative in their home country.